Friday, August 04, 2006

2 Kings 22; 2 Chronicles 34; John 6

Yesterday I left the following quote on Barbara’s blog…"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in the slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased." ~ C S Lewis

John 6: 53-58 But Jesus didn't give an inch. "Only insofar as you eat and drink flesh and blood, the flesh and blood of the Son of Man, do you have life within you. The one who brings a hearty appetite to this eating and drinking has eternal life and will be fit and ready for the Final Day. My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. By eating my flesh and drinking my blood you enter into me and I into you. In the same way that the fully alive Father sent me here and I live because of him, so the one who makes a meal of me lives because of me. This is the Bread from heaven. Your ancestors ate bread and later died. Whoever eats this Bread will live always."

The belly burning hunger of the prodigal fully realizing his NEED of his Father’s food…
Knowing He offers us steak and lobster …and yet I satisfy myself with fast food burgers…
I am too easily satisfied…
The belly burning hunger of the PRODIGAL, how do I the ‘elder brother’ ever acknowledge all that I need without …..how to quit administering my own ‘first aid’ ~ eating the empty carbs of immediate gratification and yearn deeply for what God provides…I am far too easily satisfied.

4 comments:

Jada's Gigi said...

Amen! We must eat Him and drink Him to be truly satisfied...He is the ONLY thing that satisfies...though we may try many other options....You know though...just a taste of Him creates such a hunger for more...its the very reason people who are far from God will continue sitting in pews week after week...something inside of them remembers a time when they tasted REAL food and they keep hoping....good post!!

Bar L. said...

Very good post and tood comment from JG. Powerful.

karen said...

that's good stuff, Becky!! :-)I'm having a hard time leaving coherent comments, and blogger is not letting me do so very easily!!

Curious Servant said...

Well said.

We fill up on cotton candy. Mouthfuls of emptiness.