Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Micah 5 - 7; Hebrews 7

Met with a gal this morning with a job that puts her in contact w/hurt and wounded kids, adolescents, what you might call Juvenile Delinquents and the hopelessness around her just makes me cry. She has a passion for kids but is bound by a system that seems to not allow her to be as effective as she desires to be. I can only tear up listening to her, she’s doing something and caught up in the red tape that surrounds her job……but she’s in the trenches doing something. I want to encourage her to NOT give up, to stay in the quagmire of accomplishing something when all she wants is to run away.
And me I just feel the hopeless….the all I can do is PRAY kind of hopeless……what or where are we as believers and followers of Christ supposed to be or do in a world of chaos and hopelessness……encouragers to those already trying……
How do you encourage and challenge those struggling to DO what I can think I want to be doing as well….is that about me??
Adolescents caught up in fear, caught up in lifestyles that take them further and further down a road of …….hopelessness, a fear driven powerlessness…..I don’t know I just know it makes me sad and powerless….like I have any power anyway….but BOY I used to think I did. So now I wallow around in powerlessness?? I don’t know for sure I ‘think’ I hear BE STILL but maybe……I don’t know, I just don’t know……

Micah 6: 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

What’s more humble I guess than a knowing you have nothing to offer anyone, save for a love of Him who’s saved me…..? But it seems so …….in the face of so much pain and suffering ……but I have to stand on it right?? If we who love Jesus don’t see ourselves as ultimately powerless and in THAT powerlessness we see Him ……we continue to move and pray and love…..I don’t know…I just don’t know….
Hebrews 7: 24 but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25Therefore he is able to save completely[c] those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
26Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28 For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever.
And maybe I’m just not supposed to KNOW….but in the believing and loving and struggling and wrestling…..just come weaker and humbler closer to Him…..but it sure FEELS ……powerless…..and weak.

3 comments:

holy chaos said...

so the red tape in the system is actually preventing this lady form doing her job which is to help the children?

that is a tough one...maybe praying is the best thing... it doesn't sound like much???

i like this saying"things happen that wouldn't happen if you didn't pray"

jennypo said...

I love that when we get tired of our weak, helpless, bumbling selves, we have Jesus to look at. BJK, your worship of him is the weakest and the strongest thing you do. I see him in your struggles. He is living in your weakness!
Love is the strongest force in the universe. It reaches through walls, down streets, around corners, around the world, and throughout the universe. It is stronger than physical force. Red tape cannot offer it any obstacle, for it shines the more brilliantly when buffed or scraped. You have opened your heart to love and the impact that has on a hurting world is further-reaching than a social program, a government initiative, a million dollars.
You obviously yearn to do more, to touch the lives you carry a burden for. I believe that God gives this kind of a burden and a yearning when he wants to share his work with us. The longing to do something becomes so great that we are undaunted by the cost when opportunity comes. God's blessing to Abraham was that he would be a blessing to all nations.
May God bless you, and use your love to bless others.

Eric said...

But does God reveal to us our weaknesses so that we'll feel powerless to do anything, or does He reveal our weaknesses so that we'll humbly answer his call to powerful action through Him?

Are you praying to become more humble or are you praying to become more humble so you can hear His voice over your own?

Have you asked God to reveal to you the action step He is going to take so that you may join in bringing about His glory to a hurting community?

Have you asked God to remove your fear? Have you asked him to remove the whispers of the enemy who wants/needs to hold you back from entering into the strength of our God?

Would asking those questions then require you to potentially take a huge and terrifying step of faith?