Thursday, February 21, 2008

Number 8 & 9; Acts 28

Today’s a snow day here where I live and I am the receptionist for a good sized school district. Today I am going to get called by parents who ‘forget’ that the decision to cancel school is a well thought out one. It is one taking into consideration the safety of ALL students and staff, not one arrived at lightly . I take my lumps and listen biting back judgmental thoughts and feelings, no that's not true biting back the words that would exhibit my judgemental thoughts and feelings. I try to understand where they are coming from and not make it about me. My personality wants to defend those that don’t need my defending, maybe in the defense it’s more about wanting to ‘teach’ them something….ugly stuff…not very loving at all.
To live honest and vulnerable, like a sheep without defense counting on my shepherd is just so counterintuitive….because my first intuitive response is to lie and self protect.

Hurt people, hurt people. And aren't we all damaged, broken, bruised...hurt to some extent? I’m gonna hurt you and you’re going to hurt me and we're going to hurt others.....if I’m not trusting my shepherd, living in/under the Grace of THE MOST AMAZING GOD…..hurt people, hurt people.
It’s about YOU and the sooner I LIVE like I know that the easier it will be, become to BE honest and vulnerable…easier, is that true?

Acts 28: 25 They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: "The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet
26" 'Go to this people and say,
"You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving."
27For this people's heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.'

4 comments:

rebecca said...

a good word for what you described about people is displacement.

deal with that all the time someone is frustrated, angry, you name it and you're in the line of fire (shooting the messenger).

hope you have a good day.

becky

Stephi said...

Trust and Honesty, I pray these things. What would a relationship look like with/without these?
"BIG HUGS"
Your Brother
Weird Duncan
http://imabarbarian.wordpress.com

Natalie said...

no fun!

hard to be nice

and not critical

sometimes it feels good...

but it isn't very sheeply ; )

Micah Hoover said...

It's easy to get defensive. At least it is for me. I even get defensive about people that don't need to be defended, like you say.

Sometimes defensiveness is a sign that one is ashamed of what they defend.