Thursday, January 18, 2007

Genesis 44 - 46; Luke 18

Don’t know how this will finish but it seems like there is something here for me to process. In working for a school district in a support position you see things….you hear and experience things. This last week there was a decision made to HAVE school when all around us appeared to be cancelling. In the first 2-4 hours of my work morning I fielded calls from about 80 irate people . They expressed their irritation by yelling at me about how disappointed they were with the decision (that was the people who were verbally in control) . As I listened to each one and judged them as stupid in my head I came to thinking about how wrong I was to consider them stupid. Working for the school district I KNOW what a collaborative terrible decision this can be. I know how early they are up and out on the roads. I know how many of them go out early and gauge the road conditions….the people complaining didn’t know that, they just knew they were disappointed or inconvenienced or …whatever.
And it struck me how I do that to God and not only to God but to my bosses or leaders or…whatever….
I only know what I know about any given situation and my reactions are about ME.
So there is I am sure more for me to think about in this and I intend to….just writing down the first glimpses I have and trusting that He will take me deeper.

So now I pray for a soft and open and teachable heart as I read Your word…..

Genesis 44: 7 But God sent me ahead of you to preserve for you a remnant on earth and to save your lives by a great deliverance.

The faith Joseph had, the experiences and in those experiences the choices Joseph made to not sin in anger…to not hold grudges…to believe that God had a plan for him. His faith saved his family….?....Is it presumptious of me to believe the same for me, for you?? That God is NOT moving us as in a chess game but is in CHARGE of the outcomes??? I don’t know but this morning in light of everything else it feels that way..
Now the bad news is this ends up with the bondage in Egypt…….and not until Moses ending so……..

The Little Children and Jesus
15 People were also bringing babies to Jesus to have him touch them. When the disciples saw this, they rebuked them. 16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Luke 18: 27 Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."
28 Peter said to him, "We have left all we had to follow you!"
29 "I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God 30 will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."


Like a child accepting……asking a lot of questions but in the end accepting what her parents …..her boss……it’s not tied together yet but I have a lot to think about…and the Holy Spirit to help …a Good Shepherd to guide me while I do.

4 comments:

Chris said...

B,

I'm in Gladstone, and feel your frustration at the districts who put our children at risk by having school that day. My kids went, but only because my husband is a newspaper carrier and thought the streets might possibly be navigated safely. The kids said hardly any of the students were there because of the conditions. I'm sorry parents were so irate with you.

I'd like to ask you something if you'd be so kind as to email me at ising4him@sbcglobal.net. Thanks!

Gigi said...

My frustration was with those who complained...I respected and stand with their decision to have school for whatever that's worth...but pleased to meet you!!

Cinder said...

Thank you so much for this post. I'm very guilty about allowing things to become about me...being reactive, instead of being open to guidance and teaching.

Bar L. said...

Ouch. Very good reminder:

I only know what I know about any given situation and my reactions are about ME.